Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hej

Ok, so this is one I need to learn quickly... :)

In Swedish, "Hello" is said "Hej" (pronounced like hey). I have gotten into the bad habit of responding to hej with hey. To the Swedish, there is no difference, so they think I speak their language and just start talking. If I instead were to say Hello, they would know that I am an American, and would speak English right away (it's compulsory for them to study English for at least 8 years in school, so they are all quite proficient). Or, if I learned Swedish, then it wouldn't matter if I meant hej or hey, as I'd be able to follow along anyhow. But, alas, I continue to respond hey.

To expound on my current knowledge of the language, the less formal hello here is hej hej and goodbye is hej da (pronounced hey doe). Actually, that gets really confusing, because when they speak quickly, it almost sounds like someone with a cold saying hello, so hearing that at the end of a phone call is a new experience. :)

A couple of links to the Eniro website (Sweden's version of Google, but with much cooler maps):

Here is a cool view of my hotel and here is the office I am working at.

1 comment:

dinger said...

Hello Jared. I'm careful to say "Hello" and not "Hey" so that I can continue in English. Anyway, your blog spot is a great idea. I like to quickly read about your experiences, filled with your little rants, like the sound of "Hello" at the end of a conversation =) Just as soon as you get accustomed to that language, you'll need to put it behind you and freshen up on Jamaican mon!