Saturday, March 8, 2008

City Exploration

I finally got a chance to go see some of the city today, and it is beautiful. In particular, the theater really stood out, so I attached a picture of that below:


















Today's adventure took me a whole metro stop away from "home", to give you an idea of how little I have had a chance to see so far... I headed out to the Kungstragarden stop where I walked over to (what I thought was) the National Museum. Turns out, I was on the wrong side of the bay, and ended up at the Museum of Midieval Stockholm. Ordinarily, I would have just stayed and not admitted my error (typically male of me, I know), but I was meeting some friends and decided I should try to join them. So, I hustled my way around the bay, only 15 minutes later than expected, and was fortunately not the last to arrive! :-) Once the group gathered, we wandered through the museum together - lots of neat artifacts from Sweden's history, as well as some amazing art from around Europe - even one painting of George Washington! Actually, there was an Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec exhibit going on, which was fantastic to get to see, and the Swedes have a pretty nice collection of Cezanne, Renoir, and Gaugain. There were also some exhibits from Swedish aristocracy through the ages - cups, cabinets, plates, etc. that were quite ornate. There were even a few Nautilus Cups, which were incredibly opulent and were made out of large shells that had been carved and inlaid with gold. See here for an example of a Nautilus Cup. Very cool. Anyhow, we then wandered around the harbor area for a while, and got an early dinner.

I spent the rest of the day studying - got a midterm out of the way as well as a couple assignments for other classes. Not sure what I'll get into tomorrow. It's supposed to rain, so I may take a rain check on the next round of city search. We'll see. Cold rain kind of sucks... :-)

1 comment:

Christine Spencer said...

Yay, you saw the theater. The entrance is gorgeous. And I remember taking zoomed in photos of the name because Fred and I are immature that way. It says Kungliga which I think means royal.